Brought into the limelight by the recent free ascent of Yosemite’s Dawn Wall on El Capitan, Big Wall climbing has captured the imagination of many – climber and non-climber alike. One aspect of Big Wall climbing that leaves many people speechless is the hanging cot, called a portaledge, that the rock climbers sleep on and sit on in between climbs.
Whether you rock climb and are seeking to expand your skillset, or have no climbing experience and just enjoy the elation of elevation, now you can have your very own Portaledge Adventure.
Join us for a picnic unlike any other, or, for the adrenaline lover, a night of vertical camping, sleeping high off the ground. We provide all the equipment and the expertise, so you can relax while enjoying a catered meal or a night high on the wall.
- Duration: 4-5 hours or overnight with an afternoon departure and morning return
- Drive from Moab: 30 minutes
- Season: March through November
- Guide to client ratio: 1:3
- Technical: customized to suit individual’s objectives
What you can expect to learn
- Ascending and descending rope
- Knots and rope management
- Basic belay techniques
- Casual and easy introduction to roped climbing
- Trusting the rope and safety system
- How to navigate and be respectful of high places
Skill & Fitness Level
- No climbing experience required
- Beginner to Intermediate athletic skill level
- Must be able to hike 1-mile over uneven, natural terrain
- Minimum age: 12 years
What to Bring
- Snacks (granola bars, peanuts, etc) and meals
- Drinking water
- All of the technical gear you will need for climbing*
*If you do have and would prefer to use your own climbing harness, shoes, and/or chalk bag, please do so. Otherwise, we provide these items for you.
What you should wear
- For the approach, shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
Other items we recommend that you bring
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab UT. See location on Google map
Please be at our office at least 15 minutes before departure for check-in.
Pricing varies on this Custom Trip – Contact Us for More Information
Because a reservation guarantees space on a trip, we sometimes have to turn others away
for those same dates. Thus, cancellations must be made at least two weeks prior to the trip dates in order to receive a full refund of the reservation deposit. Any cancellations made after the two-week cut off and up to 48 hours before the trip will forfeit the $20 per person deposit. To cover our costs, we must charge the full trip amount for any cancellations made less-than 48 hours before the trip.
We will refund your entire trip amount if we must make a cancellation due to adverse
weather. Please be aware that weather cancellations are made only by our guides, based on how climbing and canyoneering conditions are affected.