1/2 Day Beginning to Intermediate Single-Pitch Rock Climbing Trip
Moab offers a diversity of climbing routes within easy reach of town. If you’ve never climbed before, or have limited experience, this 1/2 Day Moab Cragging Trip is a fun introduction to desert rock climbing. You will learn the essentials and have ample time to ascend the walls and get a feel for the local rock.
We adapt the curriculum to your needs and experience level; a variety of high-quality climbs and a relaxed atmosphere will allow you to progress at your own pace – all of this in a beautiful setting.
- Duration: 4 – 5 hours
- Drive from Moab: 15 – 20 minutes
- Season: all year, weather permitting
- Max. guide to client ratio: 1:6
- Technical: top roped climbing, 60-100 ft routes
What you can expect to learn
- Climbing equipment use and care
- Crack and face climbing techniques
- Efficient movement
- Knots and rope management
- Basic belay techniques
- Descending and lowering
- Safe climbing practices
Skill & Fitness Level
With multiple climbs concentrated together we can accommodate beginning and intermediate skill levels together.
- No previous climbing experience necessary
- Minimum age: 5 years
What to Bring
- Snacks (granola bars, peanuts, etc)
- Drinking water
- Climbing shoes
- All of the high quality technical gear you will need for climbing*
- Transportation from our office to the climbing area and back to our office
*If you do have and would prefer to use your own climbing harness, shoes, and/or chalk bag, please do so. Otherwise, we provide these items for you.
What you should wear
- For the approach, shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
Other items we recommend that you bring
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a growing teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab UT. See location on Google map
Morning and afternoon departure times available for this trip. Departure times change with the seasons:
03/01 – 04/15 8:30am 2:00pm
04/16 – 05/31 7:30am 3:00pm
06/01 – 08/15 7:30am 4:00pm
08/16 – 09/15 7:30am 3:00pm
09/16 – 10/01 8:00am 3:00pm
10/02 – 11/30 8:30am 2:00pm
Please be at our office at least 15 minutes before departure for equipment sizing and check-in.
Pricing for this trip corresponds to the total number of people signed-up.
If you are the only person to reserve this trip, you will pay the 1 person price; however, if others enroll, the price for all will drop accordingly. If you would like to reserve a Private or Chartered Trip, see below.
$175 / person for 1
$104 / person for 2
$89 / person for 3+
Private or chartered guide
$45 / person added to your cost ensures that no one else will join your group, providing your group with more time for discussion and one-on-one instruction from our professional guides who specialize in the safest climbing/canyoneering techniques as well as the local natural history, geology, flora, and fauna.
Group discount of 10% available for eight or more.
Because a reservation guarantees space on a trip, we sometimes have to turn others away for those same dates. Thus, cancellations must be made at least two weeks prior to the trip dates in order to receive a full refund of the reservation deposit. Any cancellations made after the two-week cut off and up to 48 hours before the trip will forfeit the $20 per person deposit. To cover our costs, we must charge the full trip amount for any cancellations made less-than 48 hours before the trip.
We will refund your entire trip amount if we must make a cancellation due to adverse weather. Please be aware that weather cancellations are made only by our guides, based on how climbing and canyoneering conditions are affected.