1/2 Day Beginning Multi-Pitch Rock Climbing Trip
Looking Glass Rock
This Entrada sandstone formation has a long and pleasant low-angle rib that allows the beginner climber a chance to climb way off the ground and enjoy expansive views in a secluded area just 20 miles south of Moab.
The climbing is no harder than 5.5 but with a good amount of airy exposure creating the perfect situation for a beginner to attain a summit without needing a lot of strength or previous climbing experience.
Once on top you are free to explore or lounge on the vast, flat summit while your guide prepares the breathtaking 135ft, completely free-hanging rappel through a crazy window of an arch! A nice and relaxed adventure with just the right amount of mental and physical challenge for the beginning or first-time climber.
- Duration: 4 – 5 hours
- Drive from Moab: 15 – 20 minutes
- Season: all year, weather permitting
- Max. guide to client ratio: 1:6
- Technical: top roped climbing, 60-100 ft routes
What you can expect to learn
- Climbing equipment use and care
- Crack and face climbing techniques
- Efficient movement
- Knots and rope management
- Basic belay techniques
- Descending and lowering
- Safe climbing practices
Skill & Fitness Level
With multiple climbs concentrated together we can accommodate beginning and intermediate skill levels together.
- No previous climbing experience necessary
- Minimum age: 5 years
What to Bring
- Snacks (granola bars, peanuts, etc)
- All of the technical gear you will need for canyoneering (see below)
- Transportation from our office to the route and back to our office
What you should wear
- Approach or Canyoneering Shoes recommended, yet soft, flexible soles, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes that you are comfortable getting wet, dirty & abused.
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
- 3:2 Wetsuit (can be rented)
Other items we recommend that you bring
- Any personal canyoneering gear you have/use (to be reviewed by your instructor)
- 2-3 liters drinking water
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection or as insulation if temps dictate)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a growing teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
- Waterproof camera
- Extra dry clothes
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab UT. See location on Google map
Please be at our office by 7:45 am to complete any payment or paperwork
Pricing for this trip corresponds to the total number of people signed-up.
If you are the only person to reserve this trip, you will pay the 1 person price; however, if others enroll, the price for all will drop accordingly. If you would like to reserve a Private or Chartered Trip, see below.
$225 / person for 1
$160 / person for 2
$145 / person for 3+
Private or chartered guide
$45 / person added to your cost ensures that no one else will join your group, providing your group with more time for discussion and one-on-one instruction from our professional guides who specialize in the safest climbing/canyoneering techniques as well as the local natural history, geology, flora, and fauna.
Group discount of 10% available for eight or more.
Because a reservation guarantees space on a trip, we sometimes have to turn others away for those same dates. Thus, cancellations must be made at least two weeks prior to the trip dates in order to receive a full refund of the reservation deposit. Any cancellations made after the two-week cut off and up to 48 hours before the trip will forfeit the $20 per person deposit. To cover our costs, we must charge the full trip amount for any cancellations made less-than 48 hours before the trip.
We will refund your entire trip amount if we must make a cancellation due to adverse weather. Please be aware that weather cancellations are made only by our guides, based on how climbing and canyoneering conditions are affected.