Full Day Advanced Tower Climbing Trip
Castleton Tower (Castle Rock)
With climbing up to 5.9, this tower is geared for the experienced climber who has some crack climbing experience or those sport climbers who can consistently follow 5.10.
Looming tall and proud, Castle Rock is iconic of desert tower climbing – the summit register is crammed full of colorful desert climbing history.
You have your choice of two mega-classic routes of the same difficulty: Kor-Ingalls or North Chimney (one sunny, one shady).
This is a big day with diverse climbing, steep cracks, great exposure, airy rappels and unbelievable views 1400ft above the surrounding desert.
- Duration: 6 – 9 hours
- Drive from Moab: 30 minutes
- Season: all year
- Max. Guide to client ratio: 1:2
- Technical: 5.9 with lots of vertical crack climbing, big exposure, 400ft, 5 pitches
Skill & Fitness Level
- Must have prior multi-pitch climbing experience
- Must be able to climb 5.9 cracks or 5.10 sport-climb grades
- Advanced fitness level
What to Bring
- Snacks (granola bars, peanuts, etc)
- Drinking water
- Climbing shoes
- All of the high quality technical gear you will need for climbing*
*If you do have and would prefer to use your own climbing harness, shoes, and/or chalk bag, please do so. Otherwise, we provide these items for you.
What you should wear
- For the approach, shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
Other items we recommend that you bring
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a growing teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab, UT. See location on Google map
Departure times for this trip vary with the season, but usually begin quite early in the morning. Call to arrange details: 435-259-3317 or 1-877-641-5271.
Full Day – $360 for one person*
Full Day – $275 per person for 2
* If another joins this group, your price will drop to reflect the two-person rate.
Transportation Fee: $35
Due to the small size of tower-climbing groups (1-2 people), we do not normally provide transportation to the tower (our guide will ride in your car). We can provide transportation, if needed, at an additional cost.
Private or Chartered Guide
$45 / person added to your cost ensures that no one else will join your party, providing your group with more time for discussion and one-on-one instruction from our professional guides who specialize in the safest climbing/canyoneering techniques as well as the local natural history, geology, flora, and fauna.
Because a reservation guarantees space on a trip, we sometimes have to turn others away for those same dates. Thus, cancellations must be made at least two weeks prior to the trip dates in order to receive a full refund of the reservation deposit. Any cancellations made after the two-week cut off and up to 48 hours before the trip will forfeit the $20 per person deposit. To cover our costs, we must charge the full trip amount for any cancellations made less-than 48 hours before the trip.
We will refund your entire trip amount if we must make a cancellation due to adverse weather. Please be aware that weather cancellations are made only by our guides, based on how climbing and canyoneering conditions are affected.