1/2 Day Beginner Canyoneering Trip in Chamisa Canyon
1/2 Day Canyoneering Trip – Chamisa Canyon – Moab’s Best 1/2 Day Wet Canyon Trip!
Perfect for the beginner or the busy vacationer. Lasting approximately 4-5 hours, our 1/2 Day Trips can be scheduled in the morning or afternoon, are close to town and get you back by meal time.
Named for the shrub (also called Rabbitbrush) that inhabits this area, Chamisa Canyon is a trip that packs a lot of punch! Often full of water, this tight canyon is a fantastic abbreviation of what our longer wet canyon trips are like.
Rappels, wading, swimming and beautiful scenery all await you!
If you choose this trip, come prepared to get wet and have a lot of fun.
Private or Chartered Guide
$45 / person added to your cost ensures that no one else will join your party, providing your group with more time for discussion and one-on-one instruction from our professional guides who specialize in the safest climbing/canyoneering techniques as well as the local natural history, geology, flora, and fauna.
Group discount of 10% available for nine or more.
- Duration: 4 – 5 hours
- Drive from Moab: 20 minutes
- Max guide to client ratio: 1:7
- Season: April – October
- Technical: Up to 2 miles of moderate hiking, 2 rappels (15ft, 80ft), rope-assisted down climbs, wading and swimming
Skill & Fitness Level
- No canyoneering experience required
- Beginner athletic skill level
- Must be able to hike 3 miles over easy to moderate natural terrain
- Minimum age: 8 years
- Children must be mature enough to use reason and logic to mitigate their instinctual fear of backing over a cliff edge and also weigh enough (around 50lbs.) to counter the mass of the rope they’ll need to push through their rappel device.
What to Bring
- 2 liters of water per person
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a growing teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
- Snacks (granola bars, peanuts, etc)
- All of the technical gear you will need for canyoneering
- Transportation from our office to the route and back to our office
What you should wear
- Shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes that you are comfortable possibly getting wet or dirty
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab UT. See location on Google map Morning and afternoon departure times are available for this trip. Departure times vary with the season:
04/16 – 05/31 8:00am 3:00pm
06/01 – 08/15 8:00am 4:00pm
08/16 – 09/15 8:00am 3:00pm
09/16 – 10/01 8:00am 3:00pm
10/02 – 11/30 9:00am 2:00pm
Please be at our office at least 15 minutes before departure for check-in. Early reservations are recommended!