This trip requires 3 people to run for the normal rates, listed below.
If your group only has 2 people and no other party gets added, then we will contact you and give you the option of
1) paying the 2-person price listed below,
2) changing the departure date or time of your trip to join another group, or
3) receiving a full refund.
- 3+ People:
- $89 / person – youth (6-15)
- $104 / person – adults (16+)
Private or Chartered Guide
$45 / person added to your cost ensures that no one else will join your party, providing your group with more time for discussion and one-on-one instruction from our professional guides who specialize in the safest climbing/canyoneering techniques as well as the local natural history, geology, flora, and fauna.
Group discount of 10% available for eight or more.
Ephedra’s Grotto begins with a short hike across ancient petrified sand dunes, leading us into a dry rock wash. Quickly the wash turns into a dry waterfall that seems to almost disappear into the tightest, deepest rain gutter imaginable. “We go down there?!” is the usual question after peering over the edge, and indeed we do. This exquisite rappel is the first obstacle in reaching the entrance to the amazing grotto.
Now, totally enveloped in a small stone room, whose floor rarely sees the light of day, we exit to find our next challenge: a jaw-dropping rappel into the alluring green canyon below next to an enormous natural stone bridge — the 6th largest natural land bridge in the world! A cool spring-fed stream accompanies us for the rest of this outstanding hike, exiting into the Colorado river corridor.
- Duration: 4 – 5 hours
- Drive from Moab: 10 minutes
- Max. guide to client ratio: 1:7
- Season: all year, weather permitting
- Technical: 3 miles easy-to-moderate down-hill hiking, 2 rappels (95ft, 120ft)
Skill & Fitness Level
- No canyoneering experience required
- Beginner athletic skill level
- Must be able to hike 3 miles over easy to moderate natural terrain
- Minimum age: 10 years
Children must be mature enough to use reason and logic to mitigate their instinctual fear of backing over a cliff edge and also weigh enough (around 50lbs.) to counter the mass of the rope they’ll need to push through their rappel device.
- Snacks (granola bars, peanuts, etc)
- Drinking water
- All of the technical gear you will need for canyoneering
- Transportation from our office to the route and back to our office
What you should wear
- Shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes that you are comfortable possibly getting wet or dirty
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
Other items we recommend that you bring
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a growing teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab UT. See location on Google map.
Morning and afternoon departure times are available for this trip. Departure times vary with the season:
03/01 – 04/15 8:00am 2:00pm
04/16 – 05/31 7:15am 3:00pm
06/01 – 08/15 7:15am 4:00pm
08/16 – 09/15 7:15am 3:00pm
09/16 – 10/01 8:00am 3:00pm
10/02 – 11/30 8:00am 2:00pm
Please be at our office at least 15 minutes before departure for check-in.
Early reservations are recommended!