A big Thank You to Chris Jarabek for this awesome video of his Little Sinbad trip with Moab Cliffs & Canyons.
3/4 Day Canyoneering Trip – Little Sinbad Canyon
Requiring a bit more stamina than our 1/2 Day Trips, our “intermediate” loops are still suitable for people of all skill levels who are used to activity and will enjoy the exertion of scrambling, climbing, and hiking as well as the rope work of canyoneering.
Though Little Sinbad is short in mileage, it’s packed with adventure, and is an exceptional step into a higher level of canyoneering-even if it’s your first time out! This remote, twisty obstacle course requires: stemming through narrows, negotiating obstacles, using technical gear for assisted down-climbs, and/or rappelling down drops. Mandatory swims abound in this canyon so wetsuits are required in all but the hottest of days. As one progresses thru the canyon the fun becomes more challenging until we finally squeeze through the tightest section above an incredible swimming pool. A final rappel into and across this large and shady pool concludes the fun!
Private or Chartered Guide
$70 / person added to your cost ensures that no one else will join your party, providing your group with more time for discussion and one-on-one instruction from our professional guides who specialize in the safest climbing/canyoneering techniques as well as the local natural history, geology, flora, and fauna.
Group discount of 10% available for nine or more.
- Duration: 4 – 5 hours in canyon
- Drive from Moab: 1.5 hours
- Max. guide to client ratio: 1:6
- Season: April – October
- Extremely narrow sections: there is a mandatory guest size limit of less than 250 lbs. or 40″ girth
- Technical: 2 miles of advanced hiking, steep grades, easy scrambling, multiple pothole swims, rappel up to 80ft, rope-assisted down climbs
Skill & Fitness Level
- No canyoneering experience required
- Intermediate to advanced athletic skill level
- Body must measure no larger than a 40-inch circumference in any area
- Must be able to travel for 4 or 5 hours through a tight canyon system requiring stemming, chimneying, scrambling and advanced hiking on steep grades (a full-body workout)
- Must be able to swim through multiple potholes
- Minimum age: 10 years
- Children must be mature enough to use reason and logic to mitigate their instinctual fear of backing over a cliff edge and also weigh enough (around 50lbs.) to counter the mass of the rope they’ll need to push through their rappel device.
What to Bring
- 3-4 liters of water per person
- A long sleeve, quick-drying shirt to use to warm up after swims
- Extra dry clothes may also be necessary depending on the temperature that day
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Camera (waterproof)
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
- Sandwich & snacks
- All of the technical gear you will need for canyoneering
- Wetsuits, if deemed necessary
- Rental canyoneering shoes with extra-sticky rubber for gripping the rock and quick-draining material for your comfort at $8 a pair
- Transportation from our office to the route and back to our office
What you should wear
- Shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes that you are comfortable possibly getting wet or dirty
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
- No cotton jeans or sweatshirts
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab UT. See location on Google map
8:00am or 9:00am, depending on the weather
Please be at our office at least 15 minutes before departure for check-in.
Early reservations are recommended!