3/4 Day Climbing Trip -Ancient Art
This is the perfect desert spire for those who enjoy the challenge of being in a high and airy place and are able to climb at a 5.9 level outdoors.
Immortalized by the 2012 Citi Bank “Rock” TV commercial, Ancient Art has become the “must-do” desert tower for its improbable looking summit that resembles a feature straight out of the mind of Dr. Seuss! A truly phenomenal tower that boasts one of the tiniest and most gravity-defying summits imaginable! Unique for a desert tower since it is mostly straight-forward face-climbing.
Despite its crazy look this tower is a great introduction to multi-pitch climbing, and the perfect desert spire for your first foray into the magical sandstone towers of the Colorado Plateau. While graded a 5.10+, the harder moves can be bypassed with a bit of direct aid. Concluding the ascent is a spectacular 200-foot, rope-stretching rappel!
Amazing as the tower is, there is more to Ancient Art than the climb. The short approach hike through a fantasyland of rocks, hoodoos and giant monoliths presents world-class photo opportunities with amazing vistas of the other Fisher Towers – so be sure to bring your camera.
- Duration: 5-6 hours
- Drive from Moab: 30 minutes
- Season: all year
- Max. guide to client ratio: 1:2
- Technical: 5.9 aid or 5.10+ free climbing, very airy exposure, 325ft (105 meters) with 4 pitches of climbing
What you can expect to learn
- Review of basic climbing equipment-use and techniques
- Anchoring for multi-pitch climbs
- Following and cleaning gear
- Anchoring, knots and rope management
- Handling the height and exposure of a multi-pitch route
Skill & Fitness Level
- Moderate fitness required
- Must be able to climb at 5.9 sport-climbing level outdoors or 5.10 indoors
- Must enjoy the challenge of being in a high and airy place
What to Bring
- 3 liters of water
- Sun screen
- Lip balm
- Brimmed hat
- Light long-sleeve shirt (for sun protection)
- Sun glasses
- Light rain gear
- Extra snacks if you get really hungry, are a growing teenager, or have dietary restrictions or allergies
- Transportation from our office to the route and back
- All of the high quality technical gear you will need for climbing*
*If you do have and would prefer to use your own climbing harness, shoes, and/or chalk bag, please do so. Otherwise, we provide these items for you.
What you should wear
- For the approach, shoes with a soft, flexible sole, such as running shoes or lightweight hiking shoes
- No open-toed sandals, please
- Clothes that are light-weight and loose fitting to allow you flexibility and freedom of movement
- Clothes that are suitable for the season
All trips depart from our office at 253 North Main, Moab, UT. See location on Google map
5:00am – 6:00am -Departure times for this trip vary with the season, but usually begin quite early in the morning. Call to arrange details: 435-259-3317