2 Day Gym to Crag Clinic With Pamela Pack, Gisely Ferraz, and Field Station Hotel!
November 17th – 19th, 2023
Build your skills and transition from the climbing gym to the crag with a supported community during this inclusive 2 day clinic in Moab led by professional climbers Pamela Shanti Pack and Gisely Ferraz in partnership with Field Station Hotel.
This course is intended for beginning outdoor climbers with predominantly indoor climbing experience, however, Intermediate climbers will also benefit from refining and reviewing these skills as well as benefit from the additional movement principles and skills practice.
Transitioning from climbing in the gym environment to the outdoors requires learning new skills and techniques. Our clinic provides the opportunity to develop these skills under the guidance of experienced instructors. Participants will learn outdoor-specific techniques, such as crack climbing and smearing, as well as safety procedures specific to the outdoors. Our goal is for our participants to build confidence, community and enjoy their relaxing stay at Field Station in beautiful Moab, Utah.
Travel day for most participants. We will host dinner at the Field Station and meet and greet at the Field Station and make sure everyone has their gear for the weekend.
2pm: Check In starts at Field Station. This is the earliest that the participants may arrive at Field Station.
6pm: Dinner and Meet and Greet, Presentation with Pam and Gi
7am: Breakfast at Field Station
7:45am: Meet at the Adventure Desk
8:00 am: Head Out for Day One of Climbing
8:30am – 4pm: You will be partnered with someone with similar climbing experience and goals. You and your partner will work with one of our guides focusing on skills pertinent to your goals.
6:00 pm: Festivities at Field Station or choose you own adventure time.
7am: Breakfast at FieldStation
7:45am: Meet at the Adventure Desk
8am: Head Out for Day Two of Climbing
8:30am – 4pm: Day two is when you get to put all the skills you learned on day one in context. The key is to get repetition working with skills you already learned.
5:00 pm: Goodbyes!
- Review of belaying and knots
- Safety considerations for the Outdoor space
- Crag etiquette – dogs, music, smoking, etc
- LNT practices
- Reading a route
- Outdoor specific climbing movement
- Anchor building
- Cleaning an anchor
- Intro to leading
- 2 Days Guided Climbing Instruction on Saturday and Sunday (Max 4:1 Ratio)
- 2 Nights at The Moab Field Station Friday and Saturday
- All necessary climbing gear provided by Black Diamond -(It is highly recommended that you bring your own to learn on!)
- Transportation From Field Station to crags and back Saturday and Sunday
- Friday Night festivities around the outdoor fire pit/pool/hot tub area at Field Station including a presentation by professional climbers Pamela Shanti Pack and Gisely Ferraz about their own transitions from the gym to the outdoors to professional climbing and establishing first ascents.
- Snacks and beverages at the crag
- Breakfast and coffee at Field Station each morning
- Grab and go lunch each day
What is not included:
- Guide Gratuities
- Dinners (Available at Field Station or town)
Optional Add Ons:
- An additional day(s) of guided climbing or canyoneering can be added at a discounted rate following the clinic depending on the availability of our guides! Please CONTACT MOAB CLIFFS AND CANYONS if you are interested in adding a day of climbing or canyoneering to this itinerary.
- An optional 3rd night stay at the FieldStation at a special discounted rate for Gym to Crag participants is available for those who might enjoy more time exploring the beautiful Moab area. Please contact the FieldStation and advise them if you would like to extend your stay for this special discounted rate!
A 50% deposit is required to reserve your space in this clinic. The remaining balance is due 14 days before the start of the clinic.
Because a reservation guarantees space in a clinic, we sometimes have to turn others away for those same dates. Thus, our cancellation policy for this clinic is as follows: Cancellations must be made at least 61 days prior to the trip dates in order to receive a full refund of the reservation deposit. If you cancel within 31-60 days of the clinic, it will result in loss of 50% of the deposit. If you cancel within 15-30 days of the clinic, it will result in loss of the full reservation deposit. Due to the special nature of these courses any cancellations made within 14 days of the clinic will not be refunded. Please consider purchasing Trip/Vacation Insurance if you have concerns.
The ethic in the desert is not to climb on wet sandstone because it can damage the rock, and the accepted practice is to wait a full day to climb once the rock becomes saturated. We will try our best to work around non-saturating rain.